The most dramatic addition to the all-new Hard Rock Stadium is the open-air canopy, providing shade for 92% of the seats while allowing for a natural grass playing field.
- 14,000 tons of steel were used to build the Canopy
- Canopy is supported by 8 concrete “super columns” which support in excess of 20 million lbs, as well as hurricane force winds
- Cables up to 5” in diameter support the 800’ wide by 900’ long canopy
- The top of the Canopy structure is 360’ off the ground
- Transparent inner edge is made out of a pillowed EFTE foil system
- Nine cranes were used to build the canopy. The four largest cranes will have a lifting capacity of 850 tons each and will have booms almost 400 ft in height